News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Impressive Teddington March On

Impressive Teddington March On

Simon Davis24 Apr - 18:11
Share via

Petersfield brushed aside as Teddington eye league and cup double.

Teddington took a huge step forward in the Papa Johns National Cup last Saturday as they overcame much fancied Petersfield with a hugely impressive performance. Much has changed with both clubs since they last met before COVID in what was the old London Southwest 3 league. Both sides have enjoyed impressive runs of form. Petersfield like Teddington have been promoted as champions to Regional 2 rugby next season, and came into this fixture unbeaten, with a solitary draw the only blemish on their record this season. They had also posted an eye-catching 1st round result, when they had dispatched Weybridge Vandals scoring 69 points in the process. The Antlers lost Huw MORGAN due to injury just prior to the game but were boosted by a senior debut for Connor CROSS who has now completed the journey from U6’s through to the 1st XV. There was a 150th cap appearance for Stuart RIDLER who joined Rory MERCER who achieved the same milestone last week. From the kick off it was clear that the Antlers were not going to have this their own way, as Petersfield’s big pack dominated the early scrums and their physical defence meant that the home side could not get their dangerous runners into space. Teddington switched to a tighter game, kicking to the corners, and controlling territory. Jack VALENTINE was peerless in the lineout and the first try was scored by Olly HOLLAND after a catch and drive. The Antlers continued with this tactic and were rewarded with a second try courtesy of Joe STAINER. With Bob BEEVERS converting both scores, Teddington went into the half time break 14-0 up and looking in control. The second half continued in a similar vein, as the hosts squeezed their opponents, forcing them backwards at every opportunity. It was not a gameplan familiar to Teddington supporters who are used to seeing their electric backs carving up defences for fun, but it was a gameplan that was frustrating their opponents and was bearing fruit. Two more trys followed by Stuart RIDLER and Dan ROBERTSHAW and at 26-0 the game looked almost done. Petersfield came back with a try of their own before Rory MERCER put the result beyond doubt with a fifth try for the Surrey/Sussex champions. Petersfield had the last say as their prop went over for his second try of the afternoon in the final play of the game, but this was Teddington’s day. The win, which gives them a home quarter final next week against KCS Old Boys was down to a huge amount of grit and determination, which was typified by front row Sam RAWSTHORNE who backed it up the next day by running the London Marathon. The Antlers are nearing the end of their own marathon this season with the finishing line at Twickenham Stadium now coming firmly into view. Final Score Teddington RFC 31 Petersfield RFC 10. Man of the Match Stuart RIDLER.
Further reading